by Nan Campbell, Joe Patrick & David Norman
Between September and December 2011, the Erskine Alumni Association conducted a survey that sought to better understand giving trends and perspectives among Erskine alumni. If you were among those who participated, thank you for your feedback. About 26% of those asked to participate responded, yielding a wealth of information and insight from nearly a thousand alumni.
We are pleased to report that in the months since the survey was initiated and conducted, the Board of Trustees, the Alumni Board, and administration of Erskine have made significant progress, working together to cultivate continued healing among Erskine’s constituencies and ensuring that Erskine’s best interests are served.
Erskine has seen some difficult times over the past few years and the effects are certainly reflected in the survey results. However, the resilience and perseverance that have characterized Erskine and her alumni for nearly 175 years have also been demonstrated in tangible ways. We are pleased that the work accomplished in recent months addresses many of the survey’s findings. In particular, the Board of Trustees and Erskine administration have made considerable headway in several key areas of concern expressed in the survey results.
The week just before the Alumni Board met to review the findings of the survey, the Erskine Board of Trustees met and considered their response to certain requests from the General Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian (ARP) Church. As indicated by their response, the trustees desire a continued, cooperative, and mutually beneficial relationship with the ARP. You can read more about this at Erskine’s online news site, news.erskine.edu.
Attached is a brief summary of the survey results. We encourage the healthy dialogue that is taking place. If you have comments about the survey or ideas for ways to seek continued, cooperative, and mutually beneficial relationships, please share them with us by sending an email to alumni.survey.feedback@
We also encourage you to communicate with the Erskine administration and Board of Trustees through the Alumni Board. To find an Alumni Board member from your era or near you, visit the alumni section of Erskine’s web site.
Thank you for your continued love and support for Erskine.
Joe Patrick, Chair, Erskine Board of Trustees
David Norman, President, Erskine College and Theological Seminary
Nan Campbell, President, Erskine Alumni Association
- UNRIGHTEOUSNESS and RIGHTEOUSNESS — Romans 1:1-32 by Reverend Chuck Wilson
- Apprehended and Apprehending — Philippians 3:1-14 by Reverend Chuck Wilson
- OUTREACH Prayer Update — May 2013
- Have You Considered — World Witness Short Term Mission Trips?
- Erskine President David Norman is Forced Out
- The Dragon Isn’t Above the Law — Revelation 20:1-3
- And Sitting Down They Watched Him There — Matthew 27:35-36 by Reverend Chuck Wilson
- Capturing the Bad Guys (The Gruesome Ending of All God’s Enemies) — Revelation 19:11-21
- Ordained Into an Honorable Retirement — Ms. Harriet E. Leslie (Sermon Title: The Righteous Deeds of the Saints — Revelation 19:6-10)
- Are the Saints Guilt of Heavenly Schadenfreude? — Revelation 19:1-5
- These Are God’s Final Warnings in the Bible before the End — Revelation 18:1-24
- Marriage: What It Is, Why It Matters, and the Consequences of Redefining It
- Young Pro-Marriage Conservatives Undaunted by the Battle Ahead
- A Woman Rides the Beast — Revelation 17:10-18
- Communist China Happily Claims to Have Only Murdered 330,000,000 Million Babies
- A City on Seven Hills — Revelation 17:1-9, 18
- Stated Clerk of First Presbytery, Tom Patterson, Faces Over 208 Sex Charges
- OUTREACH Prayer Update — March 2013
- Alan Avera Leaving Outreach North America
- . . . and God Remembered — Revelation 16:17-21
- Invitations to Repent — Revelation 16:1-16
- Time to Learn the Song of Moses — Revelation 15:1-8
- The Great Harvest of the Earth — Revelation 14:14-20
- The Blessings of Heaven Are Better & the Terrors of Hell Are Worse — Revelation 14:6-13
- Do the 144,000 Have a Tattoo? — Revelation 14:1-5
- The False Prophet and 666 Revealed — Revelation 13:11-18
- No Beauty In This Beast — Revelation 13:1-10
- A Bad Week for the ARP Church: Murder, Abuse, Corporate Failure
- OUTREACH Prayer Update — November 2012
- Do You Believe in Dragons? — Revelation 12:1-6
- “Afterlife Exists!” Says a Top Brain Surgeon
- Which Politician Stood Before 65 Mill Viewers and Labeled Our National Debt Immoral? — Revelation 11:15-19
- Why I Am Participating in Pulpit Freedom Sunday — Wayne Grudem
- Middle School Retreat at Bonclarken November 9 – 11
- SAFE! — Psalm 91:1-16 by Reverend Chuck Wilson
- OUTREACH Prayer Update — October 2012
- Why Does Christmas Come Early for Those Who Hate God’s Prophets? — Revelation 11:1-14
- California Makes It Illegal to Try and Convert Gays Under the Age of 18
- Islam Requires Christians to Act Timid and Submissive, But God Expects Truth to Look Dominant! — Revelation 10:1-11
- Can the ARP Church Regain Our Strength — Or Are We Too Old?
- The Chimes: Peachtree Corners Presbyterian — by Reverend Dr. John Cook
- Erskine Theological Seminary Fall 2012 Conference
- Join a Network that’s Bigger and Better than Facebook — Revelation 7:9-17
- The Surprise Identity of the Sealed 144,000 — Revelation 7:1-8
- Will the World End on December 21st? — Revelation 6:12-17
- OUTREACH Prayer Update — September 2012
- $1 Million Cash Bequest Impacts ARP Church
- Which Denomination Has the Best Chart for the Book of Revelation? — Revelation 6:9-11
- The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse — Revelation 6:1-8
- Do Rocks and Fossils Take a Long Time to Form?
- 5 Things We Do Today Instead of Preach the Word — by James MacDonald
- The Key to Worship — Revelation 5:8-14
- The Wind of the Holy Ghost Blowing upon the Dry Bones in the Valley of Vision — by Ebenezer Erskine
- OUTREACH Prayer Update — August 2012
- The Search for a Legitimate Heir — Revelation 5:1-7
- The Collapse of the Liberal Church — by Margaret Wente
- Shocking Throne Room Secrets!
- What’s at the Center of the Universe?
- What Makes Jesus Physically Upset? — the Letter to Laodicea
- Why I’ve Stopped Singing in Your Church — by Bill Blankschaen
- Erskine President David Norman is Forced Out
- Separation of Church and School — by World Magazine
- Minority Report of Erskine Trustees Regarding the Erskine Board’s Response to the General Synod
- A message from Erskine Board of Trustees Chair Joe Patrick
- Louisiana College Wins Legal Battle for Inerrancy — Lessons for the ARP Maybe?
- How Does Erskine Implement Christian Education? — Two Opinions
- Erskine Alumni Association Newsletter — April, 2012
- Erskine Spring Break Widow’s Service Ministry Project
- Erskine Alumni Survey Summary
- Erskine College Board reaches out to ARP Synod
- Erskine Hopeful for Continued Dialogue with ARP Synod
- Erskine Trustees tell ARP Synod "No" to request to allow Synod to remove Trustees for cause
- Erskine College Sophomore takes Christmas break mission trip to Kenya